Sunday, May 1, 2011

Entry the first...from another blog I'm importing

I'm 3 months from becoming an RN. I might import my old entries from my old blog, and I'll definitely start chronicling the new...HERE!
Here's the skinny: I just came off an 11 year run in banking. I was moderately successful and got to try everything I wanted & applied for. I got to try some stuff that I didn't want to try, too, LOL.

I ended my career as a Asst. Trainer. If I had stayed in my industry, that would've been the job I'd kept for the rest of my life (well minus the 'co' title I shared with 2 other people who were over the other two regions of the state. I'd rather have managed the dept, but I digress. :-)

So why quit now? Why quit when I had a descent salary, benefits, & paid travel expenses?  Well, the reasons are several...

I have always adored health. I was a fat kid growing up. When I did my own health and nutrition research and followed it, I lost weight. So that was pretty rewarding! It has always been a passion of mine, health.

I became disjointed with the banking industry. Well, maybe not so much with banking. Maybe more with 'girls can work the teller line and boys can be loan officers.'.  Yes, I know plenty of people who have broken the stereotype. I did. But for me, becoming dissatisfied helped put me on this path, so it had to happen.

I enrolled in a Masters degree program in 2007 for Health Education / Promotion. I graduated in 2009. Pretty awesome...but with no medical background, I was left with either low-paying work or jobs I couldn't apply for because I didn't have the right alphabet soup after my name.

And the final reason?  My brother died. We were all in the ER for hours. They tried to resuscitate him for WAY longer than they had to or even should have, but they did it for my family. And then nurses allowed us to stay with his body for what seemed like forever afterwards. We oscillated between crying / disbelief to (strangely) laughing about the wonderful and funny moments. The nurses took turns wiping his bleeding nose so we wouldn't have to see it and gave us no time limits.

So that's my story, and that's why I'm becoming a nurse.

No comments: