Saturday, June 5, 2010

hey-hey-are-you-ok?

Took the CPR course with 3 lifeguards today.  FUN!  6 AM wasn’t quite so fun, especially when I found out that the Red Cross told half of us 6, and the other half 7.  We waited until almost 7.  No one else showed!
But after that cluster, it was a pretty cool class!  My teacher was a teeny-tiny girl probably 10 years my junior. Barring a few blips in her oral communication flow, she did a really good job.
We practiced adult, child, and infant choking, rescue breathing, CPR, and AED administration.  All together now, tapping a mannequin on the shoulder, "Hey-Hey-are-you-ok?"  That was our teacher's cheer phrase for starting the initial assessment. Funny.  Funnier still was that even though she was from Iowa, she positively DRAWLED her "hay-e hay-e are you oh-kay-e?" 
Cool stuff.  Hope I never have to use it (I know I will) but glad that I now have that knowledge.
I had to do CPR on a girl in my building about a year ago.  Of all things, they ran from one side of our building to the other to come and get me.  And I had my last official first aid class in 5th grade girl scouts.
She needed one little puff and she resumed breathing. (She had been actively seizing for about 5 minutes, prior.) Our firemen EMS folks arrived and took over.  She ended up fine.
I did better on my Chem quizzes tonight.  I have quizzes every other day until the end of this month.  Exams every Sunday.  I hate chemistry.  I know it is important.  I think I could be good at it.  My teacher is too smart to teach. Same guy from last semester.
Let's see, what else...I eat low carb mostly. I eat lots of veg, so I don't want anyone to think I'm unhealthy. I am eating low carb strictly for the next couple of weeks.  I’d really like to get a few nagging pounds back off before nursing school starts.  Lord knows I won’t have time to actively deal with them then.
I'm going to go cross CPR off of my marker board.  If you don't have one, you should go get one tomorrow.  Three computer home network and iPhone be damned, physically crossing things off of my deadlines and goals list is GRATIFYING.  

No comments: