Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Do I really want to go into nursing?

So I’m traveling with the bank today…well, tonight.  I was pissed as hell yesterday.  All day, I knew that my overly sanguine boss would not think of making plans for this sub-region of our bank until the last minute. 
I have chemistry due every other night since I am taking a freaking summer school class.  I was hoping to fly under the radar and stay home.  Not so much.
At 5:45 last night (yes, unplanned working late because no one was prepared with the presentation we had to start using the NEXT DAY) she, in her passive aggressive way, told me that she wanted me to go to one of our sub-regions.  Tomorrow…which is today.  GOD that pissed me off.  I like to plan things at least a day ahead--at the least.  With chemistry looming and a very sick little Taterdoggie (started heartworm treatment yesterday) I did not want to make this trip.
But last night, I got all of the Chemistry work done that was due today. That changed my attitude MUCH for the better. I got up extra early this AM and showered, got ready, and packed.  Very low key.  My first two training sessions I held today went very well.
So I am traveling on the banks dime, by myself, and feeling pretty satisfied about it all.  And I have had a couple of dissenting thoughts about my future plans.  What if I just stayed in my current job?  What if I did not go to nursing school?  I am really having a good time right now, having a place of influence.  I’ve been in this position for almost 2 years, so people are starting to trust my work and my word.
Even in this crazy line of thinking, I couldn’t convince myself to back out of nursing.  But I couldn’t convince myself completely to NOT back out.
Why would I do this to myself?  All I’ve been working towards, just to up and stop the process?
I drove to the nearest wet county so I could have a couple of drinks with dinner after work.  To Goatee Man, in a very dry voice, “Help, Help, I’m spending the night in a dry county!!!’  I actually had to drive 35 minutes to get into another county so I could eat at a Chili’s with a bar! Craziness.  But, my chemistry is done, so what else did I have to do? 
So I drove, listened to ReachMD.com podcasts, and had some surprisingly yummo salmon and broccoli, with a skinny margarita and one Miller Lite.  Nice and lowcarb…until I got back to the hotel.  Chocolate cake happened.
All of that to say this:  I saw a PBS special on African women and fistulas.  These women are extra tiny, short, and small due to hard work and little food.  They said it was decent food, but not nearly enough.  So they are very small in stature.  And they are married at 8-10 years of age.  And of course, that means babies as soon as they start menstruating.  Which is anywhere from 10-14 in these poor girls. 
All THAT adds up to babies that are next to impossible to birth, due to cephalo-pelvic disproportion.  They will be in birth for 5 or 7 DAYS.  And all of that pressure leads to tissue damage in their urinary bladder and their rectum.  They are plagued with insatiable incontinence.  Once they have a fistula, they are then banished from their community.

These poor, poor girls.

What was wonderful about this documentary was the nurses and doctors who formed a makeshift hospital and started surgically repairing these women.  Once they are restored, the women are allowed back into their communities.  Learn more about fistulas here:  http://www.fistulafoundation.org/aboutfistula/
These are the types of things that called me to study public health and now that call me into nursing.  Thanks God, for the reminder.

No comments: