Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 2011, already? Update 1 of 2

Gotta do another 'catch-up' entry.
I helped welcome the new Accelerated BSN class at my university.  Can't believe that almost a year has gone by and now I'm giving info to the next hopeful and excited class. ;)
I gave them good info like BUY A PARKING SPOT (super limited at my university), actually study, etc.  It was fun.
I applied to 6 jobs.  I applied to 2 jobs that are an hour away, one in Respiratory nursing, another in Transplant.  Hey, shoot for the moon and be happy with a star.  3-4 weeks later, got  the ol' rejection email.
I also applied for a job at St. Jude Children's Research hospital.  Super glad that I was "not selected."  I got to spend 2 days at my state's own research hospital, and while is is an AMAZING hospital, and a ridiculously AMAZING with kids, I hate it.  I'll go into the whys sometime. :)
I applied at a local hospital's One Day Surgery/PACU.  It was only a part time position, but I REALLY loved PACU (see above posts) so I thought, "hey, good foot in the door."  Yeah...still haven't gotten a call from them.
Which leads me to Sainted Big Dog Hospital.  They told us in a recruitment luncheon, that they would be actively pursing our class of Accelerated students, and she wasn't kidding.  I applied on a Friday night and received a call Monday morning at 9 am!!!

The Interview
I interviewed the following Friday.  Talked to the HR/Nurse Recruiter lady for an hour about my past work experience, best parts and worst parts of me, times when I was able to work through conflict, yadda yadda.
Guess she liked me.  She had me watch the Big Dog customer service expectation video, and when it was over, retrieved me from that room, handed me a packet of drugs and calcs to know for an exam, and asked if I had time to  meet the manager of the Unit I'd applied to.  ErrrrmYES.

So she walked me up the hill to the hospital and to that Unit and I had another interview on the spot.  This manager seemed REALLY cool.  A really great conversation, even if I *did* get a little excited in talking with her.  She seemed not to mind, and even commented that she thought that I was very much a people-person (indeed!).
The verdict?  She offered me a 7p-7a position right on the spot.  YAY!
I'm going to be working the Clinical Decision Unit.  It is a unit for people who aren't sick enough to still be taking up real estate in the ER, but the docs/nurses aren't comfortable with sending them home just yet, either.  A lot of it will probably be late night chest pain, and holding them until AM for stress testing.  That's ok by me.  Manager says that they TRIED to have this unit in the past, but it really just ended up being an overflow.  They shut it down, did the research, and are trying to do it right this go-around.  I think that is why they brought her on board; to start it.
So yay, I think I'll be able to see a lot and see it fast in this unit, and I'm SUPER excited to already have employment.
Tomorrow, I go in for the obligatory pee test, physical, hand in my mountain of paperwork and copies of cards (cpr, social security, etc) and take my darned meds/calc test.  I am fine at dose calcs but it does make me nervous.
They are giving a huge leeway.  You can make an 80%.  Which I can't believe, because you're technically killing or harming 20% of people, but it definitely is in my favor.
I told my classmates on our private group page on Facebook that I had a position, but I'm not announcing to the world until tomorrow is all done.

No comments: