Friday, April 29, 2011

How to Become a Nurse in One Year.

I'm still figuring that one out, actually.

My local University has a one year Accelerated program for people who have a bachelor's degree already. Pretty competitive, so imagine how excited I was to find out last summer (Memorial Day weekend 2010) that I had  indeed made the cut!

Twenty-four people out of 80-something applicants got that happy little letter. :-)

It's pretty tough at times. So tough, we lost 2 people in the first 2 semesters; Summer and Fall I. (oh yeah, I should mention, it's year-round school, too).

So as long as I pass my final in High Acuity Monday, I've about got it "whooped."
(no worries, I'm a big study geek. Well, some worries, this crap REALLY sucks. The sickest of patients and a whole semester of learning in 3 weeks...!)

May is two online classes, and June and July are 3, 12 hr workdays ea. week with a preceptorship squeezed in somewhere. They transition us into the workforce; my fav part of this program. I'll be managing 5-6 patients a day after the first couple weeks, so I'll be ready for the real world!
Clinicals up until this point have been 2 patients, max.

I am almost an RN. Wowza.

Oh yeah, did I tell you I want to be a Nurse Practitioner? ;-)

No comments: