Sunday, February 27, 2011

What an Accelerated Program is.

Just what exactly is an Accelerated Program, you ask?

A program in which:

  • People who were brilliant enough to get in, can't hack it and get kicked out.
  • People who don't make anything but 'A's now make 'B's.
  • People who have never quit anything in their lives have to discontinue.
  • People who have never had mental illness find themselves dealing with depression and anxiety.
  • People go on Paxil and Xanax to make it through.
  • People get divorced. Or hopefully just have to start marriage counseling.
  • People struggle with tiptoeing around 'too much' alcohol.
  • Sleep deprivation is the rule.

Because it is a whole year of crisis. And mental health is Never challenged more fully than in a crisis-state.
I had the ego to think when I joined, "*I* won't feel that way. Maybe THEY just didn't know what they were getting into."
Nope, they were right, and I hadn't a clue as to what *I* was getting myself into. ;-)

Dear reader, I'm still hacking it. Proudly. I haven't made all A's. My marriage has come out of a dark November-December. Some of my dearest friends in the world (dearest as a result of this program) are having some of the other points stated here.
I think it is the bootcamp of nurses, an Accelerated program. And this one is just a year, so it's just that much more tight.
Any other program, especially a 4 year program, though, would be exceedingly boring.

No comments: