Sunday, January 1, 2012

*sigh* Shouldn't have done it.

I shouldn't have done it. I was looking to see if there were birth announcements from my hospital for New Years babies, and read the obituary.

Mr. Jack died.  He was 69 and apparently died on Friday. *sad sigh.

I'm thankful I got to be his nurse, and I'll never forget him.  I'm so thankful that in between administrations of D50 that I took the time to find him a cellphone charger in our box of abandoned chargers.  I'm so thankful that I could pull up a new book for him on his Kindle to read.

I know his family has a big ol' hole right now.  I'm saying a prayer for him and his family tonight.

In other news, I got called off tonight for low census.  Super rare occurrence.  The order of "call off" is Staff Support nurses, followed by LPNs, followed by RNs.  So I'm last on the list.  Huh, called "off;"  I have to call my House Supervisor at 11 pm to see if I have to go in or not.

Glad I've got paid time off (PTO) accumulated to make up the pay difference.  Wondering what to do with myself now.  I had a 3 hour nap and a big cup of coffee, and like a horse at the gate, was ready to take off in the race...and then I got a call to go back to the paddock and chill.

2 comments:

Nurse and Hospital Stories said...

May Mr. Jack rest in peace, eh. Dying, like being born is an occurrence that humanity will always watch happening unto others. These two are both inevitable, but while the former is a lonely one, the latter is a bliss. Looking forward for a blog update. :)

Take care,
Peny@dickies uniforms

Cami said...

Thank you friend for your support. It was difficult. I'll never forget this patient.

Catch me now over at www.careerchangern.com