Saturday, August 29, 2009

Week One OVER



This week was full of firsts-- first time to commute to school two days a week, first time back to the local univ. the other two days a week that I go, first time to take classes with labs, first time I've been back to the chiropractor in awhile, lol.
My history class online sucks. Not a 'gimme' class, for sure. But I LOVE my new science classes. Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology are great. I hope I love Organic/Inorganic Chem as much next semester.
In micro, I'll be assigned a "pet" which is an unidentified bacteria. Through experiments, I will discover who ('what,' really) my pet is!
I've been reading for hours on end at allnurses.com Some days, I love what I read, and others, I leave the site disheartened. I really don't like the idea of subjecting myself to quirky nurses (mostly women...and I'm a woman) who will write me up at the drop of a hat for every little thing that I don't do 100% correctly in the beginning. I have read so many accounts of that happening, and it frustrates me and I'm not even a nursing student yet. I WANT to be critiqued so I can learn, but TEACH me, don't just write me up or get me fired without helping me to do better!
As a non-traditional student and a future career changer, I hope that I will bring my life skills and life experience to the table to help deal with this possibility.
I used to be a push over, but life has taught me a lot about being balanced. Sometimes, you just let things go. Other times, you stare down and confront problems.
I'm really considering CRNA school after RN school. I know, long term goals, I'm not even in the BSN program yet. But, ya gotta set goals to meet goals. ;)
CRNA school sounds...rigorous. Stressful. Challenging. Like something I'd really like, lol. I really can't wait to get into some RN Clinicals so I can decide if ICU is my thing or not. I think I'd really like neonatology, too...but I don't think time in the NICU counts as experience needed for prerequisite work for CRNA school.
I'm rambling. I need to get some coffee, go pick up my Micro lab book that finally came in, and get to it! Gotta have a kickass GPA in my prereqs to get into my BSN program!


No comments: